Sunday, November 27, 2011

Tim meets Prism Glassworks

The guys at Prism Glassworks were in the local newspapers recently for winning an award from the city of Troy for rehabing an old building and turning it into one of the regions premier glasswork shops. Maribeth and I had our curiosity peaked, so we stopped in to see the shop.

These guys have some very talented artists on staff working in borosilicate to produce beautiful wine glasses, pendants, marbles, and pipes. At the back of their showroom is a huge glass window peering into their production shop so that you can watch the crew at work. Its a very impressive workshop, with several really high end torch setups... The big brothers to my tiny little GTT Bobcat!

After talking to these guys, I was convinced to purchase some borosilicate tubes and begin blowing implosion pendants, ornaments, etc. My soft glass experience really helped get a good start, but boro is definitely a different beast! One of the guys even gave me some scrap colors from his personal studio to help me learn how the different colors behave in the flame. A big thanks to him for all of his help- he's the kind of artist who loves to share his experience with an enthusiastic newbie.


 
My first Borosilicate implosion pendant!





Time to go pull last nights work out of the kiln, and practice some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment