Monday, October 24, 2011

Starching Origami Paper

There are several reasons why you'd want to starch paper for folding... also a couple of different ways to do it. Starch makes your paper stiffer so it creases great for detailed or complex models, and can be used to glue two colors together to make "duo" paper (Not Foil!).
I start out with 1tbsp of cornstarch dissolved in about 2 cups or water over heat until it begins to boil, simmering/stirring for about 15-20 minutes. After the mixture cools, I put it into a spray bottle to be misted evenly onto my target.
I use a 2ftx2ft sheet of lexan I had laying around, though many people use glass. The lexan has the added benefit of being SAFE to move about in a house with small children. I spray the lexan down first, then carefully lay my Lokta or other paper out being careful not to get wrinkles. I spray more starch on top until the fibers are evenly soaked. The next thing I do is cover the paper in plastic wrap, then use a rolling pin to carefully push the bubbles and excess starch out of the paper. I remove the plastic wrap and the paper begins to dry.


I suppose you could leave it out for about 8 hours to dry in the open air, but I am way too impatient for that! I set the edge of the lexan on the floor and lean it up against the wall over a hot air duct from the house heating system. I don't see why you couldn't also use a hair dryer if you were motivated enough. In about 10 minutes the paper is usually dry to the touch, and peels off the lexan very nicely.
The result of this process is a crispy-stiff sheet of paper that is glass smooth on one side (the bottom) and paper textured on top.
If you read Michael LaFosse's "Advanced Origami" book, you will note that he recommends using a starch called Methyl Cellulose in place of corn or wheat starches. The MC works in much the same way as cornstarch, but it requires no heat and must be left to dissolve for 4-12 hours. Corn or wheat have the disadvantage of growing mold and other microbes which eventually can cause deterioration in the paper. A bottle of MC powder will run you about $20 at a good artist supply store or online. This is a purified chemical that does not deteriorate paper, and is commonly used in document preservation for archives.
So far I have found that the the corn starch makes the paper stiffer for creasing, where the MC is a bit more flexible. The preservation qualities of the MC are not something I'm quite worried about yet! I don't really consider my origami to be a fine work of art that should last generations. Right now its all about paper texture- and for the price, I'll stick with cornstarch for all but my very best work.

No comments:

Post a Comment