Saturday, October 29, 2011

Upgrade to 20" squares

The set of equipment I had been working with to make paper was about 9"x16". I made some great sheets of paper, but found that the aspect ratio was all wrong. I could get one nice 9" sheet, but then I'd have to basically junk the rest of the sheet.

Solution: Build a square set of equipment... and why not upgrade to 20" while I'm at it?!?

  

Here you can see the 20x20 deckle and screen frame just about to get its first batch of pulp. This is of course all made from scrap wood I found laying around the garage, leftover from a previous project. We didn't have a 20" square rubber maid bin to work in, so I made my own.. mocked up from some scrap lumber and a sheet of plastic, as I had seen in photos of the Orgamido studio. This is several advantages. One is it's cheap and easy, and thats for me. I have enough expensive hobbies to soak up any available money!


Here's the first sheet that measures about 19" square drying on the flannel blotters on the kitchen floor. shortly thereafter it was transferred to a drying rack.

Since my wife, Beth, helped me to patiently with the first pull, we made a second pull just for her. We pulped white kraft paper, and she creatively used shards of pink paper sprinkled about, and green cake decorating sprinkles which soaked tiny green spots into the pulp.

Aside from needing to acquire a new set of 20" blotters, I'd say this setup gets a thumbs up! Looking forward to wet folding this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment